Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Focus on Others = JOY

One of the JOYS of my retirement is being able to "volunteer" sometimes for things that I used not to have the time for.  This month marks three years that I've been going into one of our local hospitals and serving as Chaplain.  Now, let me ask you...  Who do you think gets the most JOY from my visits...the patients or this ole gal???  It's definitely ME!

Many days I'll wake up and think, "I don't FEEL like going to the hospital today."  But if I'll quit focusing on myself and think about others who may need a word of encouragement or a prayer, then I usually find the will to push on.  Today was one of those days.  I was a little "draggy" when I first got up; but at the time of this posting, I'm just returning from hospital rounds and I feel GREAT!   Why?  Because I took the focus off myself for a little while.

Today I had the privilege of meeting new people who needed someone just to listen; I saw several old friends with whom I shared laughter and talk of days gone by!  I saw the JOY of new babies and proud mommies and daddies.  I even got to pray with one gentlemen that was near desperation and wanted to end his life. As I prayed with him, I realized how blessed my life is and how much I take for granted.

So today, my message is simply: Focus on others instead of thinking of yourself so much.  That's what Jesus taught!  You see, He knew that was the way to experience genuine JOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment