Total Pageviews

Friday, June 14, 2013

Be Self-Controlled and JOYfully Alert



            Have you had your JOY JUICE today?  Remember, it’s made from the genuine fruit of the Spirit.

            When we talk about the fruit of the Spirit, we easily think of love and joy and peace…..but there is one fruit that seems to have an extra hard time growing in our lives.   It’s the fruit of “self-control”.  We’ve talked this week about anger and how we should let go of it!  We discussed being forgiving of others…as Christ has forgiven us!  

            1 Peter 5:8 warns us: “Be self-controlled and alert.  Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour.”   Many times I think we allow our lives to become so busy, so stressful, so out of balance that we are in a constant state of hurry, frustration and exhaustion.  Our “fuse” is much shorter when we are tired and stretched beyond our limits.  That is when that old enemy is ready and waiting to pounce!  He sees us when we’re getting close to the edge and he finds delight in stealing our joy & ruining relationships!  He laughs when we loose our temper and spout angry words at others.  When we fail to exhibit the fruit of self-control, we are an easy target!

             So how do we allow self-control to grow in our lives? By relinquishing every area to the Lord and asking for His guidance.  Our hearts’ desire should be to bring JOY to our Father by allowing the fruit of the Holy Spirit to grow abundantly in our lives..  (For a complete list go to Galatians 5:22-23.)
           
           “Be self-controlled and alert!” Put away anger; be forgiving and REJOICE ALWAYS!




1 comment:

  1. I really needed to read this today. I have had a lot going on in my mind so I haven't been easy to live with this week. I don't yell and scream at my husband, but I have felt down and broken and unfortunately I took it out on him. I used short, cutting words, and I sent him a very sweet ecard saying I am sorry. I guess Satan saw that I was feeling broken and jumped in there and used me to cause problems in my marriage. It didn't work Satan because I realized what you were doing and came to my senses in time to stop it. Thank you Joyce for your Joy Juice that allows me to let God's work soak in every morning.

    ReplyDelete