Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Joyfully Persevere



            Have you had your JOY JUICE today?  Generously share with your family!

             When we get to the end of our lives, what do we want our loved ones to remember about us?  Will it be how successful we were in our careers? Or how many awards we won along the way?  Will it be all the “stuff” we’ve accumulated or the money in our bank account?  No…..I don’t think any of that will be important! Instead, wouldn’t we rather leave behind a legacy? One filled with joyful memories and lessons which can be passed on from generation to generation?
           
            One of the lessons that my own daddy taught my siblings and me was to always finish what you start!  Persevere—even when the going gets tough and you don’t FEEL like it.  Let me give you an example.  Several years ago, my parents’ church was having  Homecoming Sunday.  Since Daddy was one of the oldest living members, they had asked him to tell a little history of the church.  Though his health was failing, he seemed to be strong and doing fine as he began to speak, but after a few minutes he grew very weak, his voice began to fade and falter. As in slow motion, he fell to the floor!   I can remember my heart pounding, fearful that we were about to lose him.

            Thankfully, a few minutes we heard my father’s distinctive, yet weak voice, say: “Help me up.”  He asked to be seated in the chair on the platform and then he FINISHED HIS TALK!  He modeled before us James 1:2-3:

 “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.”

            Let’s be reminded that we should never give up…but JOYfully persevere in Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment