Have you had your Joy Juice today? Listen! Do you hear words of joy, edification and cheer?
The Bible talks a lot about the words we speak. There is also much in scripture about the importance of listening. Proverbs is a gold mine of nuggets which address the value of both listening and speaking the right words. Listen to these verses:
· “When there are many words, sin is unavoidable, but the one who controls his lips is wise.” Prov. 10:19
· “Even fools are thought wise if they keep silent, and discerning if they hold their tongues.” Prov. 17:28
· “The one who gives an answer before he listens—this is foolishness and disgrace for him.” Prov. 18:13
· “Do you see a man who speaks too soon? There is more hope for a fool than for him.” Prov. 29:20
Karen Ehman in her new book Keep It Shut writes about the foundational principles she finds in these verses…three warnings:
1. Don’t speak too much.
2. Don’t speak too soon.
3. Don’t speak without first listening.
I think that sums it up pretty well, don’t you? We should use our words to spread
JOY…not steal it.
May we each be conscious of the words we speak and strive to encourage one another—with joy!